We've not been through this poem for a while, so I thought it'd be an excellent revision tool to post some questions for you to answer.
Pick one and write a paragraph in response using the 'comments' box (at the bottom):
- How does the structure of the poem show conflicted emotions in the speaker?
- Why are the stanzas of irregular lengths? Pick out two examples and explain them.
- What is the rhythm of the poem like and what does this show?
- Why does Grace Nichols mention "seamoss", "jellyfish" and "tongue"?
- What is the effect of the fruit imagery?
- What aspect of relationships is the speaker trying to avoid? Give two examples and explain them.
- What is the significance of the "carnival"?
Due to be completed by Wednesday 23rd October.